The Freedom of a Christian - 12-week series on Wednesdays
Pastor Bruce will lead a 12-week series on the publication “The Freedom of a Christian”, written by Martin Luther in 1520. We celebrated the 500th anniversary of Luther’s writing of this document last year, and in honor of this milestone, the ELCA has asked churches to reread and study this document.
The ELCA provided the webpage elca500.org, a 12-week study guide, and a link to a free PDF of the document. You may access a link to the document here. If you choose, you can also purchase the book from Augsburg Fortress for $14.99.
Even if you don’t wish to read the document, feel free to come to class anyway as we slowly study this important Lutheran document.
As always, classes will be livestreamed and archived for those unable to attend. We will begin the series in November and December, take a break over the holidays, and continue in January and February 2022. Stay tuned for exact dates and more information.
The Freedom of a Christian - 12-week schedule:
- November 3: Introduction & History - notes
- November 10: Synopsis & Theological/Psychological Background - synopsis, notes
- November 17: Letter to Pope Leo X - notes
- December 1: The Power of the Living Word of God - notes
- December 8: The Power of Sin - notes
- December 15: The Power of Faith - notes
- December 22: The Power of Freedom - notes
- January 19: Misunderstanding, Misuse & Abuses - notes
- January 26: Training the Body for Freedom -notes
- February 2: Righteous Like a Truck
- February 16: Free to Serve
- February 12: Against the Freedom of the Flesh